Lemon and Blueberry Traybake
Updated: May 3, 2020
This zeelicious bake is taken from one of the many recipes available online at Waitrose. However, I made a few adjustments with the original recipe (reduced butter and sugar quantity). I also didn’t bother with the lemon juice and lemon icing drizzle purely because of time and I’ll admit, maybe 20% due to laziness (sighhh 🙃 ). I really did want to make it though for that professional look but maybe next time! All in all this cake is sooo quick to make, approximately 15-20 minutes prep time and then the oven does the rest!
So get your bake on folks!! *dashes on apron and chef hat*
If you wish to continue and make the finishing touches the link for the original recipe is here.
250g self raising flour
200g unsalted butter
200g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2 lemons zest
1) Preheat oven to gas mark 4
2) Line a 23cm x 33 cm cake tin (square tin) with greaseproof paper
3) Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. (You can also use electric whisk for this part)
4) Next, add each egg one at a time, whisking at each interval
5) Once smoothly combined, fold in flour and lemon zest and stir (be careful not to over stir!)
6) Then add 2/3 blueberries and gently stir again
7) Spoon cake mixture into tin and level out. Scatter remaining blueberries and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. You can also use the classic method and use a knife to insert if you think it’s ready, and if ready it will come out squeaky clean!
Voila, you now have a beautiful moist and spongy cake full of blueberry goodness and lemony zestiness. Ahhh, perfect for an after iftar treat 😉 Let me know how y’all get along if anyone tries it! Bon appetit! 😋